@ResLifeAtPurdue has been counting down the days until the first day of class with a different reason to come to Purdue each day on Twitter, #30ReasonsToBeABoilermaker across the final month of the summer. Catch up on the whole list here and follow along until Aug. 25, the first day of the fall semester.
30. Our mascot can run your mascot over. #TheSpecial
29. No one wants to go to a school named after a Disney movie. #FightingQuasimodos
28. With frozen winters comes frozen tuition – Purdue tuition won’t increase from 2012-16! #TreatYoSelf
27. Ohio State puts its best 22 people on a football field. Purdue puts its best 22 people into space. #RocketMan
26. Because of days like this #CloudNine
25. How many IU freshmen does it take to change a light bulb? Actually none, that’s a second-year course. #LiteBrite
24. Because dressing up for Halloween every Saturday morning isn’t appreciated anywhere else. #BreakfastClub
23. Students aren’t required to live on campus, but more than a third do anyway because it’s awesome. #CampusCribs
22. Because Purdue students know how to study #BestPartOfWakingUp
21. Purdue is getting a food truck this fall, and nothing tastes better than food traveling 40 mph. #FastFood
20. Purdue had the third-highest number of international students of any university in 2012-13. #GlobalCampus
19. US News & World Report ranked Purdue in its Top 10 Up-and-Coming Universities in 2014. #OneBrickHigher
18. Boilermakers have participated in the last 15 Super Bowls, second-best streak of any school. #BreesAndFriends
17. The research firm Lumosity ranked West Lafayette as the third-smartest city in the country. #GetSmart
16. Purdue didn’t pick its mascot out of a comic book. #MichiganMan
15. Orville Redenbacher paid his way to Purdue by selling homegrown popcorn – now the world’s most famous popcorn!
14. Purdue awards $560 million in financial aid each year…more money than the GDP of several small countries.
13. There are three Nobel Prize-winning professors currently at Purdue and 13 winners all-time with ties here.
12. Purdue has teamed up with Amazon to provide cheaper textbooks and class materials.
11. Purdue’s five-story, state of the art #CoRec won a NIRSA Outstanding Sports Facility Award in 2014. #GetFit
10. Purdue has more than 400 study abroad opportunities in 60 different countries! #Globetrotters
9. Several time capsules are buried on campus, including one at the Bell Tower to be opened in 2095. #StickAround
8. Because this guy’s a Boilermaker #MoonMan
7. Purdue’s Discovery Park surpassed $1 billion in research investments this year. #BestAndBrightestMinds
6. The food is so good! Don’t take our word for it, see what students say
5. Eight new campus facilities opened in 2014, from a res hall to a cancer research center
4. Purdue has implemented enhanced public safety measures on campus
3. Campus is beautiful! That matters, you do have to look at it for four years…
2. Campus is fun! Even/especially in the snow #SlayterSledding
1. Because YOU are here. You chose Purdue, so every other school is second best! Happy first day of class!
Purdue has five Of-the-Month campus winners for the month of May, as well as three regional winners. Not only did the Boilermakers have a strong regional showing last month, but at the end-of-year national conference, Purdue was recognized for having the most points in the Great Lakes region, as well as the fourth-most in the whole country!
Congratulations and thanks to all the res life staff members who worked so hard this year!
If you’re reading this, you got into Purdue and decided to live on campus. Both good choices! The next thing you’ll do if you haven’t already is find a roommate, the person with whom you’ll share space and time and if you’re lucky, toothpaste when you run out. That’s what friends are for.
Finding a roommate in Purdue’s StarRez online portal may seem daunting, but it’s actually pretty easy. In fact, you’ve probably already done the first step.
1. Fill out the Personal Preferences page.
This is Step 11 of 13 in the StarRez site, a simple questionnaire that will help match you with a compatible roommate.
2. Decide whether to live with someone you know or someone new.
Go to Step 12 of 13 in the StarRez portal, where you’ll see instructions on selecting a roommate. There are two tabs to choose from, “Search for a roommate by Career Acct. Login” if you already know the person you want to live with, or “Search for a roommate by Personal Preferences” if you need to find a roommate.
3a. Search for a roommate you already know.
There are two ways to search for a roommate in the StarRez portal if you already know who you want to live with. First, you can ask your friend for his or her Career Account Login, which was assigned when he or she was accepted to the university. Enter that into the search button and click search, and when the login name pops up there will be a “Request” button under the name.
If you don’t know your friend’s username, you can also search the Purdue Directory from the link on the page for his or her name and then return to the “Search for a roommate by Career Acct. Login” page and enter the login name then.
Your requested roommate will then get an email to his or her purdue.edu email address, as well as a red notification in the top right corner of the page in StarRez and a listing on the Main page of Roommate Selection. You will then get an email and notifications when your prospective roommate accepts or rejects your request.
3b. Find a roommate through personal preferences.
If you don’t have anyone in mind to room with, you can find a roommate based on shared personal preferences under the “Search for a roommate by Personal Preferences” tab. All you have to do is enter the age of the roommate you would like to live with and click the search button. If you want to live with a traditional freshman, you would enter 17 or 18 (do not input a range of ages at once, just number at a time).
You will see the Career Account Login names of other students who don’t yet have roommates, ranked by similar personal preferences (as filled out in Step 1). Your compatibility is measured by the green bar across from the prospective roommate’s name. You can view the profiles of all the students in your search to see their answers to specific questions, and once you’ve chosen a roommate, click “Request” to ask that person to be your roommate.
Your requested roommate will then get an email to his or her purdue.edu email address, as well as a red notification in the top right corner of the page in StarRez and a listing on the Main page of Roommate Selection (from Step 2). You will then get an email and notifications when your prospective roommate accepts or rejects your request.
4. Once your roommate has accepted, synchronize your Hall Rankings.
You’re almost there! Once you and your roommate have agreed to live together, the last step is to synchronize your Hall Rankings (from Step 8 of 13 in StarRez). To ensure your roommate request is granted, you MUST have identical hall rankings, from Preference 1 through Preference 7. You don’t want to choose Cary Quad and have your roommate accidentally end up at IU or something.
That’s all there is to it! Housing assignments will be announced on or around July 15, 2014. Thanks for choosing Purdue University Residences. We look forward to seeing you this fall!