What is Grand Alternative? Well, it is a series of substance free events sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Students. Many student organizations and other departments are also sponsoring the event. There are many activities through out the week involved that everyone is invited to! Another great thing? It’s free! There will be concerts, talent and comedy shows, sports, parties and discussions. What’s not to love?
The Grand Alternative came from a mindset of celebrating Grand Prix in a safe manner without alcohol. Steve Cain, a campus minister for the Wesley Foundation came up with the idea. It’s first year was in 1999 and has grown from there!
Sound fun? Here is a list of all the events, dates and times!
- Sunday, April 15
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cookout with sailing regatta. Lake Shafer near Monticello, Ind. Sponsored by the Sailing Club.
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (preliminaries 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 14). World’s Strongest Boilermaker. Turf Recreation Exercise Center. Sponsored by Division of Recreational Sports.
- Noon to 3 p.m. Barbeque, sports and music. Squirrel Park. Barbeque, soft drinks, music and volleyball will be offered. Sponsored by the Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Student Organization.
- Monday, April 16
- 4-6 p.m. Healthy Snack Stop. Memorial Mall. Make your own trail mix, enjoy your own fresh smoothie and get other free giveaways. Sponsored by Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity.
- 5:30-7 p.m. Pizza with professors. Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry. Free pizza offered at this social event where students can build relationships with chemistry professors.
- 7:30 p.m. Trike Races and S’mores. Memorial Mall. Homemade s’mores will be available and there will be a race around Memorial Mall on tricycles. Sponsored by Alpha Phi Omega.
- Tuesday, April 17
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Root Beer Giveaway. Memorial Mall. Free root beer and alcohol awareness information will be available.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Drunk Busters Beer Goggles. Memorial Mall. Try on goggles that won’t help you see but will make you think. Sponsored by the Purdue Police Department.
- 6-8 p.m. BiPartisan Barbeque & Carnival. Beering Hall, Room 2280. Enjoy hot dogs and vegetarian options, and play carnival games. Sponsored by Pi Sigma Alpha.
- Wednesday, April 18
- 5-8 p.m. Grand Alternative Cookout. Engineering Mall outside Forney Hall. Sponsored by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- 5 p.m. Recess Revival. Engineering Mall. Free food, and music and inflatables. Sponsored by the Purdue Mechanical Engineering Ambassadors.
- 6 p.m. Lawson Hall, Room B155. Air it Out. Roundtable discussions about social, economic and political standing based on color, the problem of light skin vs. dark skin, police force treatment of minorities, and diversity on campus. Sponsored by Diversity and Retention Initiatives through Volunteering, Education and Networking.
- 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Moonlight Pancake Breakfast. Agriculture Administration Building Lawn. Sponsored by the Purdue Agricultural Council.
- Thursday, April 19
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Turkish Cultural Day. Centennial Mall. Authentic Turkish gyro-kebabs, art and cultural items. Sponsored by the Turkish Student Association.
- 5-8 p.m. Grand Grillout. Kappa Alpha Theta parking lot. Live music, basketball and sand volleyball, hot dogs and hamburgers will be featured. Sponsored by Caliber, Interfraternity Council, Old Masters and the Panhellenic Association.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. SACNAS presents NOCHE DE CULTURA! Fellowship Hall, University Church, 320 North St., West Lafayette. Songs, dance, poetry and food from various cultures represented at Purdue. Sponsored by the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS).
- 6-8 p.m. BMES Cookout. East lawn outside Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering. Sponsored by the Biomedical Engineering Society.
- 6-9 p.m. Latin Nights Finale. South tower of Purdue Memorial Union. Dance workshop to learn traditional Latino dance moves. Beginners and experienced dances are welcome. Sponsored by the Latino Alliance.
- 6 p.m. Panel on Impressions from Turkey. Rawls Hall, Room 1012. Authentic snacks will be offered as trips to Turkey are discussed. Sponsored by the Turkish Student Association.
- 7 p.m. The Trevor Project Improv Comedy Show. Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry, Room 172. Sponsored by Gamma Rho Lambda.
- 7-11 p.m. Kegaroke. Basement of St. Thomas Aquinas Center. Singing, games, fellowship, root beer and snacks featured. Sponsored by Purdue Catholic Students.
- 7 p.m. That’s Hott! Performance Night. Fowler Hall in Stewart Center. Talent show featuring dancers and singers. Sponsored by Delta Pi Rho.
- Friday, April 20
- 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Parking Lot Luau. Fairway Cooperative, corner of Stadium and David Ross Road. Outdoor dance luau with music, snacks, sand volleyball and inflatables. Sponsored by Fairway Cooperative (The Acres).
- 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. Moonlight Pancakes and Open Mic Night. Wesley Foundation Student.
- Grand Alternative Carnival Night. 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Slayter Hill. Special events include Battle of the Bands, midway games and crafts, caricature artist, crafts, free food, funnel cakes, and inflatables. Sponsored by the Purdue Student Union Board and Division of Recreational Sports.
- Saturday, April 21
- 55th Grand Prix Race. 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Grand Prix Track, near corner of Cherry Lane and McCormick Road. Free shuttle service from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., running to and from Wiley Hall, the Memorial Mall side of Stewart Center and Ross-Ade parking lot.
- 2-5 p.m. Turkish Barbeque and Sports. Squirrel Park. Sponsored by the Turkish Student Association.
- 8 p.m. to midnight. Anthropology at the Movies. Beering Hall, Room 2280. Food and drinks provided. Sponsored by the Anthropology Graduate Student Organization and the Purdue Anthropology Society.
- 9 p.m. Movie on the Hill. Slayter Hill (Rain location is Fowler Hall in Stewart Center).
- 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Rock the Quad. Parking lot under Ross-Ade Stadium scoreboard. For band information, visit http://www.caryclub.org/rtq. Sponsored by Cary Club.
Don’t miss all the fun! See you there!